Hurry, this book is free on Amazon (for Kindle) through the rest of the day today! I just downloaded my own copy. Even if you can’t get it for free, it’s worth the (small) price.
What’s it about? Here’s an except from Amazon:
Chaos to Calm describes how Martha Gabler discovered that effective solutions really did exist for the overwhelming behavior problems of her own son with profoundly nonverbal, severe autism.
Here are some of the things Martha explains in this book:
- How to observe your child
- How to use positive reinforcement to shape simple behaviors
- How to notice even tiny moments of desirable behavior
- How to break behaviors into tiny pieces
- How to add simple behaviors together to build complex behaviors
- How to communicate to the child “Yes!” without using words
- How to organize the child’s environment to maximize success
- How to arrange the day’s activities for maximum success
- How to stop tantrums, aggressive, destructive and self-injurious behaviors
- How to teach the child to go to bed, stay there and sleep
- How to manage and teach without force, threats or coercion
This isn’t a book just for parents who have kids with autism. This is for any parent, period!
Disclaimer: I don’t make any money or get compensated in any way for this recommendation. I wasn’t asked to write this blog post.