With the addition of monster-dog Schooner who eats 10 cups of dry food each day, I’ve been looking for a high quality, convenient, and reasonably priced dog food for him. At about the same time I was researching different dog foods, I stumbled across a new Freshpet offering in Target. I’m a dedicated Freshpet user, usually the Freshpet Select kitty treats (that I use and recommend for dog treats — great small size won’t fill up your dog too quickly), but also the refrigerated dog treats, too. But now. Now they’re making dog food. I was a little excited. Here’s why.
Freshpet has a new line of baked recipe food that I’m pretty keen on. I like it for a few reasons:
- fresh and simple ingredients: no chicken meal here — straight up fresh chicken and eggs, peas, lentils, cranberries, flaxseed, sweet potatoes, etc.
- freshness: you can see the exact date the food was made on the front of the bag
- no bad stuff: no artificial preservatives, animal by-products, or rendered meals
- grain-free option: for those dogs who don’t do well on grains (like mine)
- easy to travel: nothing needs refrigeration, so traveling with your dog is a breeze
- convenience: you can find it in Target, grocery stores, and big (and small) box pet supply stores
- price: the quality ingredients are reflected in the price — it’s not the cheapest food in the store (for which I’m grateful), but then again, I wouldn’t buy the cheapest. My dogs deserve quality food and I’m happy to buy something that takes the time to make a better, more nutritious product.
Who cares what I think about it, how do my dogs like it?
Schooner was getting a bit picky with his current food. I swapped in one Freshpet baked recipes cup of food and used his regular food to make up the difference. Interestingly, he made quick work of that new combination, rooting around for the Freshpet kibbles, fruits, and veggies. I’ve been gradually adding more Freshpet while reducing the normal food and I expect we’ll transition fully later this week.
I need to finish the bag of the other food that’s already open, so when that’s gone, I’ll transfer Nemo over to Freshpet, too.
Next time you’re out shopping, take a look for Freshpet. It comes in three sizes: 3.5 lb, 11 lb, and 22 lb bags. (The grain free food comes in only 3.5 lb and 11 lb.)